Friday, January 27, 2012

Discovering the Holy, in Place

I begin with a personal experience

It started on a day most miserable. I received a phone call from the doctor that I did not want and scared me to death. I had cancer and I needed surgery.

I had always wondered what people do when they get bad news. What did I do? My mind went into chaos, I was agitated and full of angry energy. I felt penned in and confined by the house. My husband suggested that we get in the car and drive and so we did. We wandered for a time, ate a hamburger and then took the highway from Dillon to Kremmling. We took the turnoff to Ute Pass and headed up to the top of the hill.

We parked at the top, got out of the car and stood looking at the Gore Mountain Range, spread before our eyes in all of its glory. We stood there in silence for a very long time.

The mountains might as well have had microphones that day. They spoke to me of the largeness of life. I tried to breathe in their depth and their breadth as I’m sure I heard them shouting, “IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU! IT’S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!”.

From the confines of my fear, they called out a more spacious view…
It was a relief and a joy to open up and see, to hear and trust.

After some time, all the pieces shattered within me seemed to come together again. I had a sense of being made whole.

“We can do this.” I said to my husband. We got in the car and went home.

Kari Reiquam

1 comment: