Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The "Wow" Factor


Niagara Falls
Photograph by Kay Gillespie

I am new to this blog and new to the discussion of "landscapes of faith" as a theme. However, I am not new to thinking about God's power and love and magnificence as manifest in our environment.  In fact, the "wow" factor of amazement at God's creation for us has probably been a part of my soul since words came into my little girl's mind.
I took this particular photo at Niagara Falls, which is certainly one of the more impressive and striking natural features in our country -- among many such.  It is a sight that engenders fear to some degree -- "May God's angels keep me from falling in!"  It is a sight that engenders awe -- "My goodness, how can this be, it is so mighty!"  It is a sight that engenders worshipful silence -- "Words fail me in this moment!"  And it is a sight that engenders humility -- "God, I am so small, help me in my smallness!"
These emotions can overwhelm us temporarily when we experience the mighty and awesome aspect of our creation; but such feelings are balanced at other times my our delight and our growing joyful feeling of faith when we look at the tiny aspects of our environment such as the wildflower peeking out from behind a rock, the tree seedling taking root in a mountain boulder, or the wee crocuses (croci)  now coming up in our yards.  Thank goodness for this balance -- we probably couldn't endure spending all our time being overwhelmed by that which is mighty and awesome!
Dr. Kay Gillespie, 
Member, Board of Directors, Lutheran Campus Ministry, Colorado State University
Professor Emerita, Colorado State University

No comments:

Post a Comment