Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Thin Places


As I read this wonderful set of writings and look at the photos I am reminded of the Celtic concept of “thin places.” A thin place is a place where the distance between the spiritual world and the material world is as ‘thin as gossamer,’ to use George MacLeod’s image. A thin place is where you experience God in a special way. Jesus certainly knew about those places. He would head to the hills when he needed to spend time in prayer with God.

One of my favorite spots is Grand Mesa in western Colorado. It reminds me of northern Minnesota with all the lakes and the evergreens. There is one particular lake where my dog, Molly, and I go to hang out with God. It is a beautiful and peaceful place. I love to hike through the squishy wet in spring and delight to the croaking of the spring toads. Summer brings an abundance color in gorgeous wildflowers and white puffy clouds against the blue of a Colorado sky. Fall brings the aspen gold amid the evergreens. Winter brings the silence of snow. There is a particular rock upon which I sit to meditate beside the lake. It is a thin place for me, a place to connect with the goodness of God’s creation and with the goodness of God.

May you be blessed with such a place of peace and joy.


--Janice Johnson

Janice lives in Cedaredge, Colorado. She is a pastor on leave in the Rocky Mountain Synod ELCA.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if there is ever any distance between the "spiritual world and the material world"? I think not. This is the Celtic understanding. The distance is perception and ability or inability to see, feel, recognize...but not a gnostic two world scenario...the world is a unity. The task, I think, is to see that unity, to "religate" our lives in it....

    ReplyDelete