Sunday, February 5, 2012

Watersheds of Life



Location
El Paso County, Colorado
Latitude (lat)
38.614720°
Longitude (long)
-104.674695°
Elevation
5377 ft.
1638 m.


My heart was captured by Fountain Creek in 8th grade, as a life-long friend and I explored the many small creeks and drainages on the slopes of Pikes Peak. When I put my face in to take a drink my nose and chin were numb when I stood up—cold water. We dug our own worms, so we could cut willow sticks when we got to the stream and go “stick fishing.” Little Brook Trout that were all head and tail, it took a dozen to make a meal. Forty years later, I am back in Colorado working for the creek and the greater watershed by trying to organize a non-profit dedicated to riparian restoration. My love had been battered while I was gone chasing my fortune. Fortunately, my path led back to Colorado to raise a family. Rivers connect us to the land and to each other and to our own spirits. Holy water.


Gary Barber
President, Two Rivers Water Company, Colorado Springs
Executive Director, Fountain Creek Watershed Floodcontrol and Greenway District
(Jeffrey Louden is the life long friend. Gary and his family attend St. Gabriel's Roman Catholic Church in Colorado Springs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment